The non pizza, pizza. Squash style.

This is what I think is going on mid-December.

1) Your eyes are glazed from slamming back loads of holiday cookies. Or you’ve sunk so low you’re eating them for breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and sneaking one more for dinner. What the hay?! Right? Oh boy.

2) You’re singing joy to the world cause you’re drunk on holiday cheer (or eggnog).

3) You’re working out every day cause you don’t want to let the holidays bring you down from all the hard work and efforts you put in eating healthfully and exercising tons. Hmmm.

OK, so if you’re the number 3 person, bravo, but “sometimes one should eat a cookie, or at least some rum infused eggnog or a peppermint martini.” Just sayin.

Today I decided you all probably need to add a little holiday health or just a reminder about your health. Oh and if you are having trouble controlling yourself this holiday season, read this Part I.

Anyway,you know I eat pizza (as evident from this post, and this one), but I knew I could concoct (love that word) something with a squash and make it taste beyond….well a veggie.

I know some of you don’t even like the word vegetable, but you’re here to learn.

What I don’t know is what people think of when they hear the word spaghetti squash. It’s weird, I’ll admit that. I assume “squash” stands out, but the spaghetti part leaves one guessing.

TIDBITS:

The yellow football of a squash is mild tasting and once you string it’s guts you can pretty much flavor its insides to whatever your hearts desire (ummm, not so much like tofu but close enough). Oh, and it will never taste like cheesecake but you catch my drift eh? It’s high in fiber (bonus), Vitamin C, low in carbohydrates and low in calories (not that anyone’s counting). It’s good stuff, got it?

While I created this idea all up in my head my aunt Josie helped me figure it out and gave me the basic recipe. Props to her.

So put down the breakfast cookie and mug of I dunno….gingerbread eggnog latte whatever and make this!

Serves: Depends on the size of slices, it can be quartered, halved or eaten with a fork and the pie plate in your lap (ooooh that’s naughty and not portion controlled, use a plate, preferably a WHITE PLATE as this article suggests-re: how the color of your plate effects how much you eat).

Time: Pre-roasting the squash takes 45 minutes ( I roast it on 400 degrees F on a cookie sheet sliced in half). You can do this the day before and save almost an entire half of squash for another meal like this one. This meal takes ~35 minutes.

Pre-heat oven: 400 degrees F

Ingredients:

• 1 spaghetti squash (roasted and forked so stringy innards are scoopable)
  • 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I used part-skim)
  • 2 eggs (or 1 egg and 2 egg whites)
  • 1-2 teaspoons fresh or dry oregano
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of tomato sauce (home made or I like Muir organics or Pomi)
  • pepper to taste
  • your choice of toppings

Assembly:

• Place 3 cups of squash, 2 eggs and shredded mozzarella cheese in a bowl. Stir to combine. (p.s. you don’t have to beat the eggs, just combine).

IMG_8846

• Place all in a pie dish, bake  at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.IMG_8850
  • Remove from oven and top this puppy with whatever you desire (ummm, not chocolate). I ran out of spinach yesterday, but sauteed spinach and garlic would’ve been a perfect addition if I don’t say so myself.
  • Bake another 25 minutes and tada!!!! Holy smokes it smells like a pizza kitchen in here!

SLICE AND ENJOY!

Go a step further:

• Let’s talk TOPPINGS. I mean, add more veggies to the veggie, hello! Mushrooms, spinach, arugula, tomatoes, butternut squash puree? OMG.
  • Try different cheese combos.
  • Pesto would’ve been a unique topping all by its lonesome. Pesto Pizza!
  • Make it mexican style and add a bean/salsa topping? Ole!

So, when you need a healthy, simple and oh so yummy dinner (or a break from the cookies)….here it is.

Recent enthusiasm occurred over these posts:

47 + healthy holiday recipes

The healthy deconstructed apple pie

Stewy Greek Beans (seems to be a fav)

OH, and YOUR WELCOME!

-JEN

What’s your favorite pizza topping?

FREE TIPS, UPDATES, ZEN AND INSPIRATION VIA EMAIL.

Learn tips and tricks to live a blissful, healthful, and joyful life that includes seriously good food, yoga, meditation and laughter.

, , , , , , ,

49 Responses to The non pizza, pizza. Squash style.

1. theunsweetie December 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

What a great idea! I love it!

2. Daily Dose of Fresh December 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

Nice! I’ve never seen spaghetti squash in my life before, never to old to learn about the different variations I suppose.
    My favorite pizza topping would have to be cheeseeeeeee! (naughty but nice :) )

• agirlandhercarrot December 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm #

Definitely never too old and delighted that I gave you a new squash to try. I’m right there with you on the “cheese” topping, nothing says comfort like melted cheese (well I can think of other things but let’s just be naughty about one thing here). ;-)

3. violetsandcardamom December 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

This looks great! I can’t wait to try this!

4. beginsatsundown December 13, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

I can’t wait to try this! It looks fabulous!

5. Yuri - Chef Pandita December 13, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

Love this! I think I’m #3. I’m spending new years at the beach so Ive been working out harder than ever, haven’t eaten a cookie so far and I hate eggnog. My resolution is to not gain weight during the holidays :)

• agirlandhercarrot December 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

Yuri! You’re on the right track there chiclet. NOT gain weight is the best goal during the holidays. Eggnog definitely takes a personal taste and good for you being on the beach! That sure gives you instant motivation! xo!

6. juniakk December 13, 2011 at 6:43 pm #

i can’t believe u made a pizza crust with squash! that is incredible!!! i love this! bookmarked!

• agirlandhercarrot December 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

Yes, yes I did Junia. I come up with some wacky ideas sometimes, but this one….well I just ate 2 slices of leftovers and plan on bringing it to potlucks. Happy you like it!

7. Sofia December 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

This looks so delicious! What would you recommend as an egg substitute to make it a vegan dish? (Obvs would use Daiya instead of mozzerella…)

8. Stephanie December 14, 2011 at 1:45 am #

This is genius! *puts ingredients on shopping list* THANK YOU!

9. balvinder December 14, 2011 at 3:36 am #

That looks great ! Gluten free lovely.

10. Ruth Reynoso Sance December 14, 2011 at 3:41 am #

Great recipe! It’s so easy, I love it!

11. EA- The Spicy RD December 14, 2011 at 5:16 am #

Hard to believe that crust is spaghetti squash! Just love this yummy pizza idea :-). I’ve been on vacation skiing hard these past 3 days, but definitely need a break from the holiday cookie eating!

• agirlandhercarrot December 15, 2011 at 3:52 am #

Love that you’re skiing EA! I can’t wait to go this year. p.s. I’ve eaten almost an entire squash pizza in two days. lol.

12. German Mama December 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

I never had spaghetti squash but heard a lot of good things about it. I have been wanting to try it out for some time. This sounds like a great recipe! Saved and buzzed.

• agirlandhercarrot December 15, 2011 at 3:53 am #

Thank You German Mama! This would be a nice way to introduce yourself to the squash. ;-) Thanks for commenting and buzzing! ;-)

13. Sandra's Easy Cooking December 14, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

Oh dear Jen, what a beautiful pizza, or non pizza..call it whatever but it’s so very tasty! You are pure genius!!!!xoxo

14. Healthiest Regards December 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm #

Can’t wait to try this!

15. Tanya December 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

I LOVE spaghetti squash AND pizza. Will be trying this out soon! Thanks!

16. Nour Zibdeh, RD December 16, 2011 at 2:24 am #

So creative and looks so yummy. I haven’t cooked a lot with spaghetti squash. I think my son will LOVE it. He likes to cook and this veggie is fun, and if I can get him to choose his veggie toppings, he’s more likely to eat them!

• agirlandhercarrot December 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

Hi Nour! I’ll bet kids would love eating and assisting in the prep for this, simple way to get them involved right? Let me know if you try it!

17. stephbrookshier December 19, 2011 at 6:10 am #

Holy cow, this looks yummy! Bonus points if I can get my fiance to eat it…

• agirlandhercarrot December 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

Oooh I’m right there with you. I made this and ate it all by my lonesome but if I can get Dimitrios to try it….well then I’ll pat myself on my own back. haha. Let me know the outcome Steph!

18. Ivy December 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

This looks soooo gooood! I don’t know what spaghetti squash is because we don’t have it here in Greece but this is awesome!

19. Wendy Newton December 20, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

Jen, I made this last night! I had been gorging on kabocha squashes up through early December, and then moved on to rutabegas ad parsnips (and carrots hee hee). But your post about spagetti squash turned me back in the squash direction. Peter thought it was divine, and very pizza-like (here’s to husbands who have — more or less — adventurous palettes!). I thought it was more like a spaghetti squash parmesan (I used some parm and sauteed garlic and olive oil in the topping). Anyway, thanks for the recipes!

• agirlandhercarrot December 20, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

Ok first of all Wendy, you speaky my language by saying “gorging on kabocha.” lol. Second of all, lol to the carrot comment and third, I’m impressed that Peter was willing to try it and enjoyed it! Your parmesan and garlic sounds like perfection. I think some truffle oil might be a nice change! Ooooh. Your so very welcome for the recipes and I’m just so flattered that you make them! ;-) Cheers to good food and filling the belly.

20. Ruth January 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

Sounds delicious! Thank you! Any idea if it would freeze well?

21. locarb February 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Referencing the cheesecake comment, I know in the past I have made a mock coconut custard pie using spaghetti squash. It was tasty.

22. Top June 13, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

made this… thought it was a great unique dish to make. It tasted delicious but the ‘crust’ did not get firm enough to be called a pizza. Still… delicious! I’m looking forward to making it again.

23. Rach January 11, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

YUM! Make this for dinner last night, and I’m just enjoying some of the leftovers now :) Great crust!! Thank you!

I topped mine as if it were Hawaiian pizza….blasphemous, I know. But it’s my hubs’ favorite kind of pizza, and I figured I’d only introduce one “new” element at a time, so my chances of success (with him) would be a little higher. Haha! Also, I’m pregnant and canadian bacon+pineapple just sounded so good at the moment….it could be worse, right? :P
    Anyway, my hubs loved it! He complimented it many times and even said “I could eat this more than once…in my life!” haha so I think we’ve got ourselves a keeper :) I’ll try making it a little healthier next time!

I did have a question though – this was my first time cooking with spaghetti squash, and my squash was a bit…watery. I ended up pressing the crust into a 12″ pizza pan so it’d be thinner, and cooking it an extra 5 minutes, but I still had to blot some of the squash juices off because there were pools and pools of it. Is that normal? Should I have left it??

THANK YOU for this fabulous recipe!! :) Totally going to spend more time recipe hunting on your blog now!

• Rach January 11, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

uhh, make that opening sentence say “I made this” rather than “make this”…doh! I blame it on the pregnancy brain ;)

• Jennifer January 14, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Hey Rach,
      So sorry I’m just responding to you now! I’ve had an issue with SPAM comments on my website and overlook real people commenting lately. ;) I’m so excited you tried the pizza, your topping sounds pretty amazing…haha and yes, could be worse! Regarding the watery component of the spaghetti squash, it is definitely watery by nature…perhaps use less squash for a thinner crust anyway, I’ve had people comment on the fact that their pizza is more quiche-like (I like this but some don’t). Perhaps draining the squash after you’ve roasted is would also help. If I can think of any other helpful tips I’ll be sure to let you know! Happy to have you here and thank you for taking the time to comment! ;)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The non pizza, pizza. Squash style. | A Girl and Her Carrot « healthy pizza recipes - December 13, 2011

[...] Go here to see the original: The non pizza, pizza. Squash style. | A Girl and Her Carrot [...]

2. Straight Up, Stress-Free Cooking - December 15, 2011

[...] have those?  If so, you can imagine how psyched I was to find this blog post this morning.  The non pizza, pizza. Squash Style by the lovely and pretty darn creative Jennifer Vagios (aka [...]

3. Ingredient Swap | Vegetarian Gourmet - December 16, 2011

[...] The non pizza, pizza. Squash style. (agirlandhercarrot.wordpress.com) [...]

4. WARNING. Do Not Do’s in the New Year. | A Girl and Her Carrot - December 30, 2011

[...] Post navigation ← Previous [...]

5. Spaghetti Squash Pizza « Pots and Plots - January 11, 2012

[...] came across this recipe for spaghetti squash pizza on Pinterest and was immediately intrigued.  Spaghetti squash as a CRUST?  Really?  Well I tried [...]

6. Arugula Pesto + Brussel Sprout Shreds | A Girl and Her Carrot - January 16, 2012

[...] Use that pesto as a pizza topper (do I even need to tell you to add it to the squash pizza?) [...]

7. Friday Favorites « PumpedPumpkin - April 13, 2012

[...] Must Try Recipe: Spaghetti Squash Pizza by A girl and her carrot. This recipe looks like a must try in my book. I am probably going to make it tonight for dinner! I [...]

8. spaghetti squash with garlic & parmesan | Diary of a Crazed Cook - April 8, 2013

[...] spaghetti squash pizza [...]